Members with Long Term Campsites can Vote!
October 24th is Election Day in all Ontario municipalities. Did you know that in municipal elections non-residents can also vote? You can vote in any municipality where you own land or are a tenant. (you can only vote once per municipality) You can only have one residence but you can be a tenant in many ways such as a commercial property or a campsite.
All Bare Oaks members with a long-term campsite are non-residential tenants under Ontario Municipal Elections Act and are therefore eligible to vote in East Gwillimbury.
To vote, you need to be:
- A Canadian Citizen
- At least 18 years of age
- A resident or tenant (or their spouse)
- Not prohibited by law from voting
Several members are already registered and have received their voter card.
Note: East Gwillimbury has a ward system with two councillors per ward. Bare Oaks is located in Ward 3.
Why should you vote?
- To show that we are part of the municipality and that we care
- Without voters, there is no democracy
- Because the opinion and needs of Bare Oaks members matter
- Because your vote can make a difference. There are 139 potential voters at Bare Oaks. When you look at previous results you’ll see that only one or two hundred votes could have made a big difference.
How to Vote
To check if you are on the list, go here: https://elections.eastgwillimbury.ca/en/register/
If you have not received a voter card, you are probably not on the list. So just go to: https://elections.eastgwillimbury.ca/en/register/
- You will need to submit a copy of your License of Occupation (LOO) from the office (as evidence that you are a long-term campsite holder)
Vote Early or Remotely
Even if you live far away, you can vote online or at one of the advanced polls. (some are on weekends) See: https://elections.eastgwillimbury.ca/en/vote/how-do-i-vote/
Know the candidates
- A complete list of candidates is available here: https://elections.eastgwillimbury.ca/en/candidates/certified-candidates/
- You can attend an all candidate debate organized by the East Gwillimbury Chamber of Commerce: https://www.egcoc.org/events/details/municipal-all-candidates-debate-2022-320
- All candidates have been invited to put one lawn sign at our entrance and to leave their flyers at the office. Those that have been dropped off can be found on the wall in the store.