As we announced in December, we now have a very fast high-speed internet connection. We have spent the last 3 months testing the system, fine-tuning the network, and replacing some equipment with faster hardware. While we’ve had a few outages for short periods of time, the internet has generally proven to be quite reliable and very, very fast!
So we are confident enough to offer a premium plan for an unlimited WiFi internet subscription. Here are the details:
- Unlimited data use. People who purchase daily, weekly, or monthly tickets will continue to be restricted if they use a lot of data. e.g. watching videos on YouTube or movies on Netflix. (video uses about 1Gb to 3Gb of data per hour depending on resolution)
- Priority routing for speed. The actual speed will depend on the quality of your WiFi connection to our network and the hardware you use to connect.
- Up to 4 devices may be registered on one plan. With our existing system you have to buy a ticket for each device or log out one device before logging in with another one.
- Monthly fee: $95 + HST (minimum 12 month commitment)
- A maximum of 10 subscriptions will be sold to ensure that everyone who pays for this premium service gets what they’ve paid for. The subscriptions will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. After that, names will be added to a waiting list. If there is enough demand and technology allows, we will further increase our internet bandwidth to accommodate more premium plan subscribers.
Of course, you do not have to commit to this premium subscription. We will continue to offer the daily ($4.76+HST), weekly ($19.05+HST), and monthly ($38.10+HST) tickets. But those users may find the service slows down a lot during busy times if they like to watch videos or participate in audio/video chats. Of course, it will still be much better than it was last year!
To sign up for the premium subscription, just download this form: http://www.bareoaks.ca/files/unlimited-internet-service-form.pdf Then fill it in and drop it off at the office.
But don’t take this new service as encouragement to spend more time on the web or social media! Come to Bare Oaks to relax and reconnect with people on a more authentic human level. It is a reality that we need good access to internet for communications and services. Everything is moving to the web. But use it judiciously and with moderation.