Right on the heels of major problems with the hot tub, the pool is giving us more trouble.
As most people know, the pool had a leak in the pipes last year. We applied some temporary fixes that kept the pool running rather than shutting it down for the end of the season. But we had to bypass the solar heater so it was cold!
We dealt with the leak in the pipes this spring. But we had to pump out the water to do it and that complicated things. As everyone noticed, the weather was very cold late into the spring. The liner needs to stretch as the weight of the water goes in but that doesn’t work well if the temperature is low. So we had to put hot water into the pool to help the liner stretch. Unfortunately, it didn’t stretch enough. It popped out in a few places (which we fixed) and broke in one place. We patched that and managed to completely fill it last week. But success was fleeting. The patch started to give way so we had to pump the water back out.
We are now trying to determine if there is a stronger patch available (a faster fix) or if we need to get a new liner. That would be slower since it has to be custom ordered. On the other hand, it will have to be replaced for next year anyway.
Keep an eye on the Twitter feed for updates on our progress.